To finish your thesis, you’re going to have to spend a lot of days sitting writing in front of a computer screen.
But spending more hours at the desk per day doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll finish any faster. You have to make sure that the time you spend there is spent well.
The 80:20 Principle
If you spend 10 hours at the desk, you might find that 80% of your productivity occurs in 2 hours, while the other 20% takes place in the remaining 8. It’s the 80:20 principle in action.
Strangely, the last 2 hours of the day can often be the most productive, even though you would think that’s when you’d be the most tired and least productive.
Your general level of alertness naturally varies throughout the day, and for most people the pattern repeats on a daily basis- so for example you might be sleepy in the morning and most alert between 3 and 5 pm, every day.
Short term stress can override the rhythm (like if you have an important deadline), but you’ll tend to revert to what your body is used to.
But your alertness will also depend on what your body is physically doing. Sitting behind a desk all day, your body’s core temperature will drop, your heart rate will slow and you will gradually become less alert and less capable of writing.
So it’s vital to get up and get your body working to keep your mind alert.
What to do
You need to know what your natural rhythm is. When are you most alert during the day? And when do you just feel like sleeping?
Once you know what that rhythm is, you can start working with it, rather than against it.
- Try to do the most mentally demanding work when you are at your peak, and do easier things when you’re not. If you peak between 6 and 8 in the evening, it makes no sense to try to be at the desk at 9am. Start later, finish later.
- Also, try to build momentum towards your peak working time. So if it takes you time to build momentum at the start of the day, start the day with something really easy.
- This is much easier if at the end of the day you leave yourself something easy to start the next one with.
- Don’t rush to turn the computer on in the morning. You’ll just be on email and Facebook anyway. Take your time to prepare, have breakfast, do any miscellaneous chores and give your body time to physically wake up.
- Only check email after you’ve achieved something for the day (no matter how small an achievement).
- When you feel tired and feel like checking email, get away from the desk instead.
Reading email is not a break
Sitting in front of your email doesn’t count as relaxing. Physically you are doing exactly what you are when working, so there is no contrast.
Get up and stretch your legs instead. Better still, do 20 push ups and 20 sit ups. The boost will be better than a shot of espresso!
Understanding Academic Literature (Live Online Seminar)
Monday 16th December 2013, 4pm – 6pm GMT
Working with academic literature is one of the biggest challenges for most PhD students.
- How do you get started?
- How to select what to read?
- How to manage the huge number of sources?
- How to get to know the field?
- How to write about it?
In this live online seminar, I’ll take you through the most important principles when working with academic literature