Everything you need to know to succeed in your PhD, for just £25
The Painless PhD is a weekly video course created to guide you through your PhD and show you exactly what is required in order to succeed.
What’s the idea?
The painless PhD is built upon a simple idea; that just because a PhD is difficult, that doesn’t mean it has to be painful.
Stress: the badge of honour?
It does not have to be this way…
The first step is acknowledging the stress. Check the list below…
PhD stress: signs you should not ignore
- Constantly feeling you can’t work hard enough
- Feeling overwhelmed by the workload
- Felling like you are not working to your true ability
- Inability to focus
- Feeling like nothing you do has any impact, and that you have no control
- Feeling that even easy things have become difficult
- Constant fear of failure
- Feeling like you don’t belong on a PhD program, and that you will be “found out”
- Physical or mental exhaustion
Your PhD won’t be painful, if;
- You understand at a fundamental level what you are trying to achieve
- You know how to cope with the unpredictability of research
- You know how to manage your mental resources
- You know what is required at each stage
- You know how research works
- You know how to communicate effectively
If you understand these things at a fundamental level, then you won’t need to fight against your PhD. It will still take work, but if your effort is directed in an effective way then it need not be painful!
Your personal guide
And if anything isn’t covered, just ask!
The course is interactive. Ask questions in the comments section, and I will respond to all. If your question is really good, I will make a video on it!
How does it work?
The course started in early January, with a new video added every week.
After you join, you will have access to all the previous videos, and you will be notified by email when a new video is released.
Each module covers a specific theme, from fundamental principles through to the thesis defence and beyond.
Module 1: The fundamentals
- 101: What is a PhD?
- 102: The nature of PhD research
- 103: The Thesis and the nature of writing
- 104: The psychology and stress of a PhD
- 105: The Three Month Thesis (part 1)
Module 2: Literature
- 201: Getting started with academic literature
- 202: Building your bibliography
- 203: Preparing to write
- 204: The literature review
Module 3: Planning and executing research
Module 4: Psychology, stress, procrastination!
Module 5: Academic writing and effective communication
Module 6: Getting the thesis done
Module 7: The Thesis Defence and Beyond